Monday, July 22, 2013

Do Native New Yorkers Exist?

Photos from the New York Times
From left, DeRuiter Family; Hiroko Masuike/The New York Times
Christian DeRuiter strolls along the Hudson, which runs through his family’s long history in the city, dating back to Dutch colonial days. Left, Johannah de Bloch and Frederick DeRuiter, Mr. DeRuiter’s paternal grandparents.

I ran across this interesting article in the New York Times by Constance Rosenblum. It reminded me that we're all immigrants here in America, with only rare exceptions. Rosenblum notes that the majority of New Yorkers today came from somewhere else.

The article also drove home for me the reason I wrote Grace's Pictures. I thought I'd share it here with you. Can you relate to any of the people in this article?

Family Tree New York


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. As soon as your comment is approved it will appear here.