Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Fighting to Be Remembered


As Independence Day in America approaches, I think about my personal family history, and how the names in my family tree helped build America. If genealogy is not your thing, you are probably missing the satisfaction of realizing how connected you are to those who built this country.

My Valley Forge Connection


For example, my husband has relatives who endured the conditions at Valley Forge, and if you know history, you know that even though no battles were fought there, the sheer determination of General George Washington and his troops just to survive and keep an army together set the stage of what was truly a miraculous revolution. Had my husband's ancestor not survived--and he was in his 60s at the time!--my husband would not be here, and neither would my children.

And if I hadn't researched that line I would not have found one of my favorite stories! William Thomson was court martial-ed for swearing at his superior officer, a man likely three decades younger than him. General Washington pardoned Thomson, saying he'd had good cause for his actions.

The Ultimate Sacrifice


But seriously, there are numerous examples of the sacrifices our ancestors made so that we might enjoy our freedoms in America. I think it's safe to say not one American reading this post has not had a relative who died fighting for our freedom in a war. Sadly, there have been wars in every generation. Don't those soldiers deserve to be remembered? To have their stories and the facts surrounding their lives recorded?

Other Heroes


And even those who did not fight in a war, fought for survival, overcoming poverty, lack of education, poor English language skills, few resources other than a will to work hard and prosper. These things that drove our ancestors to build their places in American society are the kinds of stories I like to tell in my fiction.

What are the stories you've found of your ancestors' sacrifices?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. As soon as your comment is approved it will appear here.